Civil Engineering Tips | Points to Remember For Civil Site Engineer
Civil Engineering is one of the oldest and mother branches of engineering and also one of the most sought after career options in engineering. As we all know civil engineers are everywhere in demand. From municipal work to big construction projects. To become a successful civil engineering basics knowledge is very much important for a civil engineer.
Civil engineers are more in demand in Construction, Real estate, Infrastructure, Projects, Oil and Gas, and other related industries and these are one of the largest and biggest employers all over the world after agriculture.
These Civil engineering basic knowledge skills, qualities, and technical skills are very much essentials for a fresher civil engineer.
Civil engineers must improve on their basic knowledge of civil engineering subjects and civil construction basic knowledge. As a fresher civil engineer, it is recommended you should add these skill sets in our resume and career profile.
Discussed here are the abilities should a person have for civil engineering along with the software skills required for civil engineering to become a successful civil engineers
Civil Engineering Basics Knowledge
Civil engineers design major construction projects, such as roads, airports, tunnels, dams, and bridges. They also supervise project construction and maintenance. They must possess a very broad skill set, from cost accounting to geology.
Many civil engineers have jobs that require a very hands-on role in construction, while others may have positions more heavily weighted toward supervisory and administrative skills.
Civil Site Engineer Must Know +18 Civil Engineer Tips And Trick
Civil engineers must often manage very complex projects, leading many to specialize in one of several areas. Here you can find all the information and the most important skills and qualities along with civil engineering basics to become a successful civil engineer.
Civil engineer does many activities at construction site and there are certain works which are repetitive in nature. So, some points, tips and tricks which a civil engineer should remember for faster calculations as well as quick solutions to construction site problems
Points to Remember for Civil Site Engineer
- Density of Materials
- Curing time of RCC Members for different types of cement
- De-Shuttering time of different RCC Members
- Cube samples required for different quantity of concrete
Points to Remember for Civil Site Engineer
Following are few general points to remember for civil site engineers to make the construction work easier while maintaining quality of construction.
- Lapping is not allowed for the bars having diameters more than 36 mm.
- Chair spacing maximum spacing is 1.00 m (or) 1 No per 1m2.
- For dowels rod minimum of 12 mm diameter should be used.
- Chairs minimum of 12 mm diameter bars to be used.
- Longitudinal reinforcement not less than 0.8% and more than 6% of gross C/S.
- Minimum bars for square column is 4 No’s and 6 No’s for circular column.
- Main bars in the slabs shall not be less than 8 mm (HYSD) or 10 mm (Plain bars) and the distributors not less than 8 mm and not more than 1/8 of slab thickness.
- Minimum thickness of slab is 125 mm.
- Dimension tolerance for cubes + 2 mm.
- Free fall of concrete is allowed maximum to 1.50m.
- Lap slices not be used for bar larger than 36 mm.
- Water absorption of bricks should not be more than 15 %.
- PH value of the water should not be less than 6.
- Compressive strength of Bricks is 3.5 N / mm2.
- In steel reinforcement binding wire required is 8 kg per MT.
- In soil filling as per IS code, 3 samples should be taken for core cutting test for every 100m2.
Density of Materials
|Bricks||1600 – 1920 kg/m3|
|Concrete block||1920 kg/ m3|
|Reinforced concrete||2310 – 2700 kg/ m3|
Helpful Information For Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers
Curing time of RCC Members for different types of cement
Super Sulphate cement: 7 days
Ordinary Portland cement OPC: 10 days
Minerals & Admixture added cement: 14 days
De-Shuttering time of different RCC Members
|RCC Member||De-shuttering time|
|For columns, walls, vertical form works||16-24 hrs.|
|Soffit formwork to slabs||3 days (props to be refixed after removal)|
|Soffit to beams props||7 days (props to refixed after removal)|
|Beams spanning upto 4.5m||7 days|
|Beams spanning over 4.5m||14 days|
|Arches spanning up to 6m||14 days|
|Arches spanning over 6m||21 days|
Cube samples required for different quantity of concrete
|Quantity of Concrete||No. of cubes required|
|1 – 5 m3||1 No’s|
|6 0 15 m3||2 No’s|
|16 – 30 m3||3 No’s|
|31 – 50 m3||4 No’s|
|Above 50 m3||4 + 1 No’s of addition of each 50 m3|